Purchases & Reimbursements

Purchasing & Reimbursement Process

  1. Use the tax exempt form at purchase for ALL purchases (including food/restaurants).
  2. Collect detailed, itemized, original receipts.
  3. Log in to Pioneer Travel and Expense (i.e. Concur) to upload receipts and create an expense report (detailed instructions below).
  4. Once you have submitted expenses through Pioneer Travel and Expense, log your purchases and send your FSEM purchases tracking sheet to firstsem@du.edu.
  5. Reimbursements will be processed within 1-2 days of receipt and faculty will receive payment within ~5-7 business days.

Tax Exempt Documents

The University of Denver is exempt from State of Colorado and local sales tax. The University’s tax-exempt number (98-00574) should be provided to suppliers when making purchases. In general, the purchase needs to be made from University funds (P-Card or check) to qualify for tax exemption. It is the responsibility of the employee making a purchase to ensure that sales taxes for which we are exempted are not paid with University funds. This includes seeking a refund for taxes which were charged inappropriately. 

Some vendors will require that the University’s certificate of exemption is provided at the time of purchase. Tax exemption certificates can be found below. 

  • The CO State Sales Tax Exemption Form should be presented when requesting exemption from Colorado state sales or use tax. 
  • The City of Denver Tax Exemption Form should be presented for exemption from Denver sales, use, or lodger’s tax. For hotels, motels, and restaurants in this category, the Lodger Tax Exemption Form may also be requested.
  • The Multi-Jurisdiction Certificate should be presented if establishing tax exempt status with a company. 

Please keep in mind that these guidelines may vary. As a best practice, request that the merchant designate which forms are required for the situation at hand. Please note that not all DU transactions are exempt from tax. For question, please contact Shared Services at 303-871-7420.

Pioneer Travel & Expense: Step-by-Step Reimbursement Guide

  • Log into Pioneer Travel and Expense (Employee tab of PioneerWeb)
  • Click the “Expense” tab
  • Click “Create New Report”
  • In the “Expense Report/Trip Name” field, name your report (i.e. FSEM October expenses)
  • In the “Expense Report/Trip Start Date” field, enter the date of the oldest transaction/receipt you are submitting for reimbursement
  • In the “Expense Report/Trip End Date” field, enter the most recent transaction/receipt date you are submitting for reimbursement
  • In the “Expense Report/Trip Purpose” field, choose the expense category (either “Instruction/Teaching” or ‘Non-Travel Expenses”)
  • In the “Expense Report Type” field, select “Non-travel & P-card Expenses”
  • From here, there are two pathways to reimbursement:
    1) If ALL expenses are FSEM-related
    2) If you have FSEM expenses and departmental expenses
    Please follow the instructions below according to which path applies to your reimbursement:

ALL Expenses are FSEM-Related

  • Continue on the same screen and choose the following:
    • Division: 1253 University Academic Programs
    • Org/Department:
      • 328261 First-Year Seminars_UAP (activities or materials)
      • 328262 Destinations
    • Fund: 10000
      • Important: Choose the NON-bolded 10000 option at the bottom of the drop-down, below the line:
  • You can leave “Activity Code” and “Location” blank
    • Click “Next”
    • A message will pop up that reads “Does this report contain Meal Per Diem spend?” – Select “No”
    • Click “New Expense” to enter your first transaction for out-of-pocket reimbursement (if you are using a p-card, your transactions should be listed for you)
    • Select the “Expense Type” (i.e. for most expenses, you will select either “group meals” or “group entertainment” under “Meals & Entertainment”)
    • Choose “type of entertainment” or “type of meal”
    • Input the transaction date of the receipt
    • In the “Report/Trip Purpose,” choose “non-travel expenses”
    • Input your event name (i.e. FSEM advising party)
    • Input the company of the transaction (i.e. Blackjack pizza)
    • Under “Payment Type” choose “out-of-pocket” or “pending card transaction (p-card)”
    • Enter the amount of the receipt. Note: all receipts should not include tax and you will not be reimbursed for tax
    • Input the description of the event (i.e. FSEM advising pizza party)
    • Under “Attendees,” check the box next to your name and select “Remove”
    • Select “New Attendee” and choose “10+ attendees” and name it (i.e. FSEM advising group) Note: even if you have fewer than 10 students, it will be easier to say you have 10
    • You’re not done yet! In the “attendee count” box, change the number to the number of attendees that were present.
    • Click “Attach Receipt” and attach the receipt for the expense
    • Click “Save”
    • If you have no other expenses, click “submit report.” If you have other expenses to add, click “New Expense” and repeat process.

Expenses are FSEM-related and department-related:

  • Follow the steps above, with 2 exceptions:
    1. After starting a new expense report, make sure your Division, Org/Department, and Fund lists your home department information (the system should default to this)
    2. After uploading your receipt for an FSEM expense, click “Allocate” and change the allocation code to the following:
      • Division: 1253 University Academic Programs
      • Org/Department:
        • 328261 First-Year Seminars_UAP (activities or materials)
        • 328262 Destinations
      • Fund: 10000
        • Important: Choose the NON-bolded 10000 option at the bottom of the drop-down, below the line:

If you receive an error that you do not have access to allocate charges to Academic Programs, you can contact Shared Services at 303-871-7420 or email sharedservices@du.edu.